Due to the sudden interest in PSK 31/63 (and not just me) I embarked on a mission to make a PSK31 program that was powerful, flexible, easy to maintain, easy to use and included macros. After trying several methods, I hit upon a simple idea. Leveraging the power of windows forms and Visual Basic 6, I developed a multi-window PSK client that fits my design criteria.
- full macro scripting (including nesting one or more macros inside other macros). Several “built-in” macros are available (<TIME>, <DATE>, <FREQUENCY>, <SIGNAL_LEV> etc)
- up to 20 (not sure how many *can* be used actually – 50?) user defined auto-tracking “channels”. You can use 1 channel or 20 channels or anything in between. It’s all up to you.
- each channel has it’s own “window” – not just a line of text – complete with a “compose” area allowing several simultaneous QSO’s. It has more the feel of a multi channel internet chat client rather than a “ham radio” program.
- double clicking a macro name puts the fully expanded macro text into the clipboard ready to be pasted into any open channel.
- macros are written in Notepad – very simple with low resource overhead.
- very few menus and buttons. The mouse and toolbar buttons do most of the work.
- any – or all – channels can be PSK31 or PSK63. Mix and match. PSK63 is TWICE as fast as PSK31 – very nice if you’re the “compose and send” type person rather than the “transmit and peck at the keyboard” style of operator.
If anyone is interested, I will be posting the software in the download section of this website. As I’m a complete idiot when it comes to installation routines, I’ll include step-by-step instructions on what needs to be done. No worries though, it won’t be that difficult. Probably. I hope. 🙂
Stuff yet to add: (in no particular order)
- drag and drop macros
- adding QPSK
- signal seek mode
- context sensitive help
- more robust error checking
- configuration file (start where you left off sort of thing)
- speech to text
- text to speech (who needs digital voice modes eh?)
- some small windowing details to fix up
Be patient – I’m only one guy…