CHAD (almost) BETA!

The latest version of CHAD is now 1.0.104 and it works much better. Cleared up some MORE nagging issues. Haven’t really worked on the whiteboard part. I figured getting it to work perfect as an IRC client was more important. Stability and all that. So. I packaged it up for your enjoyment 🙂

Again, only fully tested on Windows 7 *but* should work fine on XP, *might* work on Win8 but the xyl won’t let me experiment with her computer … wha wha wha 🙂 so I just don’t know. Anyway, there it is.

CHAD Stable(r) Now!

Ok, after some personal computer issues (now solved!), CHAD is much more stable. Version 1.0.89 is now working pretty good. Undo/Redo in the !draw window isn’t perfect yet though. Now that my computer issues have been solved, I’ll get to that… yep. I will. The best thing is, I’ve changed all the drop down menus to buttons! Very much easier to navigate channels and all windows in general.

BTW, until ALL current CHAD issues are finalized, the version number reflects the “alpha” status. When CHAD goes “beta” it will be 1.1.xx in the version number instead of the current 1.0.xx numbers.

At any rate, it *does* work and makes an easier alternative to mIrc and some of the other mainstream IRC clients (xchat, etc)… especially if you’re new to IRC. mIrc contains SO much that it might be a little tough to navigate whereas CHAD is very simple! I haven’t actually tried it on any other IRC networks, so for now, stick to Freenode. You don’t actually have a choice right now anyway. Freenode is VERY stable and only seldom has netsplits.

Visit the Download page (or the IRC Chat page), and download/install it today!

CHAD

Now available on the website… CHAD! Just go to the download section and get it. It’s in a standard .zip file format so it shouldn’t be a problem. I’ve only tested it using Windows 7 but it should work OK on XP. Remember though, this is just an Alpha version. It “does” work but obviously a little clunky. Since I wrote it, I probably will have less problems than you 🙁 To begin with, you MUST make sure ports 6665 to 6667 (standard IRC server ports) as well as port 113 (standard IRC IDENTD port) are open through your router/firewall.

If I couldn’t get something to work with any level of reliability, I just commented out the code so if you click on something and it doesn’t work, don’t worry – I’m saving you the headache 🙂 (example. REDO on the drawing window, OP/VOICE/BAN, etc in the channel window).

So, have the fun! I’ll be updating it from time-to-time so keep an eye out…

New Chat

I’ve been working on a new project. It’s called ‘CHAD’ – not all chat and it’s not quite CAD. It’s CHAD! Anyway, it works a lot like IRC. You log in, select a nickname and /join a #channel. Then you start chatting with everyone else on the channel. You can also start a ‘whiteboard’ and draw basic pictures that are shared in real time with the other channel members. It’s pretty cool but I’m having some nagging issues 🙁

For one thing, my nick/channel handling routines work 93% of the time. Dunno why they don’t work the other 7% but there it is. I would actually put this in the public domain (ie. make it available on this website) if it wasn’t for these small issues. I hate releasing stuff that doesn’t work 100%. Ah well. I should have probably spent this time writing a ‘draw script’ for mIrc and let the IRC network handle all the nick/channel details. But I didn’t. I might do that though 🙂 If you DO want to mess with this, drop me an email and we can discuss it. I would love to have some online ‘testers’ 🙂

So, if there’s someone out there that hasn’t heard from me in a while, this is the reason. I’ve been spending a lot of time in my office/hamshack. Too much. Just sayin’


Hit Counter provided by orange county property management